Thursday 14 April 2011

Rain Coast Style Cracker Recipe and For Sale - Cheap

Saturday is the annual community garage sale where everyone puts out the junk articles they no longer want or need.  Things are usually pretty cheap  inexpensive and you have to watch that you don't bring home more useless crap  things you don't need.  As well as a slightly used deep fryer with bear scratches on it I am trying to unload the following



I bought this when Sean was about 4 months old because I wanted him to be a beautiful piano player just like my sisters two girls.  Neither he or his brother have a shred of interest in it.  You can lead a horse to water......

I'm also trying to unload this

This old wood cook stove was in the kitchen when we bought the house.  It wasn't the main stove or oven but I used it sometimes just to see if I could.  I'm glad I was born in the age of electricity.



I couldn't have made these crackers in that old cook stove as they would have been way past zwiebach and right into burnt offerings and what a shame it would be to ruin a batch as they are so delicious.
You should make these because they are really simple.

Watch out - it's way too easy to eat a pant-load of these things.


Raincoast Style Crackers

2 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk (or *milk w/1 tbsp vinegar)
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
1 cup raisins (or *dried cranberries/apricots)
½ cup chopped pecans or *walnuts
½ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
*¼ cup sunflower seeds
*¼ cup poppy seeds
¼ cup ground flax
½ tsp dried rosemary

* indicates that the original recipe didn’t call for these but that’s what I generally use – also you can switch up the flavors by changing the rosemary for another herb that you like. Last time I added Chia seeds as well.


Preheat oven to 350
Mix together dry ingredients, stir to combine.  Add wet ingredients and stir only until blended.  Pour batter into two 4 x 8 loaf pans that have parchment paper or are oiled and floured.  Bake about 40/45 min until golden and springy to the touch.  Remove from pans and cool.

Put the loaves in the freezer as they are easier to slice when frozen.  Slice as thin as you can and put slices on a cookie sheet in single layer (melba toast style).  Bake slices at 310 deg for about 10 min then flip them over and bake for another 10 min or so (watch closely as you can go from crispy to burnt in a very short time)  If you make both loaves at once you will get about 8 doz crackers.  These crackers are exceptionally good when dipped into asiago artichoke dip.




I am not one to leave well enough alone.  Faced with the task of using up three bunches of quickly ripening bananas, I adjusted the recipe above to get a pretty delicious version of these crackers.

I added to the recipe 3 medium ripe bananas, 1/4 cup oat bran and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tsp cardamon, 1 tsp lemon pepper and I switched the pumpkin seeds for slivered almonds and that was it!  They taste a bit like dried bananas.  Yum.

These will take longer to bake about 10 - 15 longer depending on the thickness you cut them.

No comments: