Monday 20 June 2011

What to Cook, What to Cook...


 


I can't eat eggs or cooked cheese.  It used to be a large part of my menu but not any more.
I think that it might be an age thing but let's not go down that path today. 

Trying to find something to make that everyone can eat (and like) has become a challenge particularly when they all devour lasagna, pizza, enchiladas, fettuccine alfredo, cannelloni, quiche.  My mouth is watering typing these words but my stomach is nervous that I might forget these delightful meals are on the no-no list.

So what shall I cook tonight when I forgot to take something out of the freezer this morning?

I think this salad might be an idea, I got this recipe from my sister - we all really like it and my garden is full of spinach.


Spinach Coleslaw
1 16-oz. bag prepared coleslaw mix
Spinach  4 or 5 handfuls
1 red  pepper (slice thinly or chopped – your choice)

Add at last minute:

crumbled bacon ...half to full pkg cooked to crisp
 feta cheese (approximately 1/2 cup crumbled)
toasted almonds ( I've used toasted pine nuts because that's what I had on hand)

Dressing:

4 tablespoons Maple syrup(it should be the real stuff)
6 Tablespoons Canola Oil
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
6 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste (needs the salt for sure in my opinion – otherwise too sweet)
1 - 2 cloves crushed garlic

Whisk or shake up the dressing and pour just before serving.



Or I could make this but the boys don't really care for it.

Pasta, Beans and Spinach
1 1/2 cups uncooked short tube pasta
15-ounce can cannellini beans or other white beans
4 cups torn spinach
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Cook pasta
Place beans in a colander; place spinach on top of beans. Set aside.
Combine olive oil and next 4 ingredients in a small bowl.
When pasta is done, remove 1/4 cup pasta water from pan; set aside. Pour remaining pasta water and pasta over spinach and beans in colander. Stir 1/4 cup reserved pasta water into reserved olive oil mixture.
Drain pasta mixture well; place in a large bowl. Pour olive oil mixture over pasta mixture; toss well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper; toss well. Let stand 5 minutes; serve warm.

So what did I make?

I had some home-made chicken soup in the freezer and it thaws pretty quickly in the microwave and, served with a bun and farmers cheese,  dinner dilemma solved.



Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Love that last line!
So, I was hoping to see a photograph of the salad. I guess not today, huh?
Soup is good though!
Your Friend, m.
p.s. Thanks for saving me yesterday. m.

Jelena said...

will you post pictures? :D
great post, btw :) and beautiful blog :)

beauty-jelena.blogspot.com

gary rith said...

I am gonna try the pasta dish soon, yes!

Pearl said...

I gotta admit that both of those salads sounded good to me!

Pearl

Gary's third pottery blog said...

now i gotta pass that recipe around to my friends :)