Friday 13 May 2011

We're Going Out, We're Taking Food and my Son Hates Me!




We have been invited to a going away party this evening and were asked to bring snacks.  I am so excited because I love to eat and I love to make things in my kitchen.

I made pepper jelly.

This is really easy to do and I hate to pay $7.00 for a  1 cup jar of it.  That's the price of it in BC, it might be cheaper in your part of the world and maybe it would taste better (but I don't think so). There is a certain feeling of accomplishment to be able to make it yourself. 


Here's the recipe if you have some spare time.


Hot Pepper Jelly

Sterilize 3 one cup jars
Place jar rings in simmering water. - keep lid rings on the side
Heat water in a canning pot (that has a rack) to boiling.

1/3 cup Dried Apricots - chopped into small pieces
3/4 Vinegar
1/4 cup Red Onion - chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup Sweet Red Pepper also chopped into fine pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped Habanero Pepper (with seeds)
   (you can sub with Jalapeno which are pretty mild or Scotch Bonnet which are not)
3 cups White Sugar
1 pouch of Liquid Pectin (85 ml or 3.5 oz or 5 tbsps)

Chop apricots and let soak in the vinegar until they are plumped (about 3 hours) or not.  I've made these when I couldn't come back in three hours and it was still delicious.
Mix with remaining vegetables in a big stainless pot and stir in the sugar.  Bring this to a boil (a big, scary, rolling boil) over high heat  and then stir in the pectin. Its a bit difficult to squish out the pectin AND stir so I usually turn the heat off the pot so it doesn't burn or boil over on to my stove. When that's done,  bring everything back to a rolling boil and stir for one minute.  Remove pot from heat.  Pour into the jars, wipe the tops if there are drips,  seal with lids and rings (not too tight) and put into a canning bath.  Process in the canner for about 14 minutes after the water has returned to a boil. Remove  and let cool on a rack.  You will hear a "pop" as each jar lid seals. 

Serve this with crackers and cream cheese, use it to baste onto pork tenderloin, spoon it over hot dogs, or cut cross hatchs into brie cheese wheel,  dollop hot pepper jelly on top of the brie and microwave for one min til everything is melty and gooey (thats what I'm doing with this one tonight) and serve with crackers.

This is also a good thing to have on hand as it makes a great hostess gift.




I am also taking these pinwheels  because they are my boys favorites and as I leaving them (the boys) at home I will leave them (the boys) with some of these. 
One of my boys is pi$$ed at me because I won't let him go to an "all-nighter" at nude beach.  No one will be nude (I'm pretty sure as its only about 9 degrees out) but it's about 2 miles from a road.  It's not really a beach more like an outcropping of rocks on the lake and the kids are all in the 15 - 17 year old range unless older kids hear about it and show up. (Facebook, you ruin many small gatherings) and I would be kidding myself if I thought there would be no alcohol there.  If they fall in the lake, well certain disaster I'm sure, and how will the ambulance get in there and will there be cell service.  (Am I sounding too much like a mom?) 

Anyway, he's not going and he's not happy.

I know these won't cheer him up but, sigh, maybe he'll like me better tomorrow.

Mexican Pinwheels

1 8 oz (250 g) pkg Cream Cheese
2 tbsp Mayonnaise
1 large Garlic Clove - finely chopped
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 cup Salsa (I use hot)
5 8" Flour Tortillas
Let cream cheese some to room temperature add in rest of ingredients not including the tortillas.  Cover and place in the fridge for  an hour and half or so.  Spread mixture onto tortillas and roll up tightly.  Cut off the ends.  Refrigerate until firm.  Slice and place under the broiler until golden and crispy.



You can use this as a dip for tortilla chips also.



And keeping with the Mexican theme I made some Mexican Paletas (Ice Pops).
I could not find my regular ice pop molds and have a nasty feeling that husband put them in the garage sale but I did find the molds I used when the boys were little so I used those. 
The ones that are banana raspberry flavor look a little bit like penises so I'm not posting a picture.


Banana Raspberry Paletas

1 cup Milk
3/4 cup (about 2) ripe Bananas
1 cup frozen Raspberries
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Malibu Rum

 Put everything into a blender and blend on high speed untuil everything is smooth and creamy.  Strain to remove any annoying seeds.  Pour liquid into molds.  Freeze about 10 hours.

2 comments:

Glamour Drops said...

He'll love you in the end, in about 10 years time when he appreciates you! Ah, the things we have to do as mothers.

Now as for this pepper jelly, I have never heard of such a thing, it sounds delicious, and I may have just found a use for the 300 chillies that are sitting on the bushes staring at me!

Joyful Things said...

We mothers have to have pretty thick skin to endure such extreme distain from our teens. I'm hoping we can laugh about all these times over the next few years!
You should try this jelly - it really is quite delicious. A friend and neighbor has a home based preserves business and her similar recipe is one of her best sellers.