Wednesday 20 July 2011

I Stand Corrected

My boys tell me my newt was a salamander.  
To me they all look the same but when I called it "the lizardy thing" was also told it is not a lizard.  

Are my boys smart or what!
Or maybe just smart-a$$es.



I made some black currant vinegar.
I started the process two weeks ago.


 





3 cups Black Currants - cleaned

2 cups White Vinegar 
1 1/4 cup White Sugar


(you can make this without sugar but this vinegar will keep longer using sugar as it acts as a preservative)


Place berries in a large sterilized jar.

Mix Vinegar and Sugar in pot over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved and liquid is just below boiling.

Pour the vinegar mix over the berries and place lid on the jar.
Give a small shake. (the jar, not yourself)
Let the mixture sit for two to three weeks in a warm place and shake gently once a day. (the jar, not yourself)

After two or three weeks, strain through a cheesecloth and then strain again through a  paper coffee filter 
(the kind from a drip coffee maker).
Pour into a sterilized bottle that has a tight sealing lid and store in a dark place, like your cupboard!



You will end up with this.




This is great in a vinaigrette for a summer salad, to make a reduction with port and pour over lamb or beef,  in a marinade or in chutneys or confit's.

I will be making raspberry vinegar as well because I am getting buried in those berries!

I love summer.

1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

buried in beautiful berries!