This is a site of pottery, cooking, baking, clay, kilns, sewing, watercolor painting, pointillism, artists, gardening, indoor citrus trees, teenagers and family life, friends, observations, poetry, design and decorating, and comments, complaining and joy.
Friday, June 22, 2012
RUN! (toward the forest) RUN!
Cholera did not happen.
Neither did pneumonia, small pox or influenza.
So I sucked it up and joined the girls for The Run.
They are girls - I am not.
Here is what I discovered during my run:
1. My skin (and parts) move a lot with each jarring footstep, quite an unpleasant sensation. Gravity, you are not my friend.
2. My cardio condition sucks! I was seeing black spots by the time I had run about 1/4 mile.
3. The girls can run backward while shouting encouragement.
4. A sprained ankle or pulled muscle does not cut it with them - "work it out!" was the call of the day.
5. To the highway and back, which is 4 miles, felt like 27 - I hit the wall (as I mentioned earlier) at the 1/4 mile mark.
6. Going slow enough so they could pick me up on the run back didn't work - they insisted we all stick together and "isn't it beautiful out at this time of day?"
I couldn't reply - no oxygen.
7. Running in Son #2's old grade six sneakers was not a good choice of footwear but it was that or my flip flops.
8. I had a good time - in spite of the cramps in my side and the burning in my lungs and legs.
Do it again next Friday? they ask.
Sure, love to.
If I'm able to move by then. Or if Yellow Fever doesn't finish me off.......