Monday 17 October 2011

Dining Alone


Both boys had  volleyball tournaments weekend.
The husband and dad did the driving.
He is also in charge of feeding them which was meals from the drive through.
One meal was Subway sandwiches so that's not so bad.....
Better than fries or poutine, I guess.

This was my opportunity to make something for my dinner that not one of them will eat but something that I absolutely love!

Beets and squash, two of my favorite foods.

So this is how it goes together.






1 (2-pound) chunk of Squash (butternut is my favorite) peeled and cut
 into 1-inch cubes


1 pound Beets, (3 or 4) tops cut off, peeled and cut into 
evenly sized chunks



1/3 cup Olive Oil


3 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar

1 tsp. Fleur de Sel
 Pepper to taste

1 Tbsp. fresh Thyme 
Crumbled Goat Cheese





Place the squash and beet pieces in a bowl.

Add the oil, balsamic vinegar, fleur de sel and cracked pepper.

Toss well to coat.

Transfer to a cookie sheet and spread out in a single layer.
Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for about 50 to 60 minutes or until vegetables are golden brown and tender.
Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with a bit more olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Sprinkle the thyme leaves over top and garnish with goat cheese.
Season to taste with additional fleur de sel and pepper.

Try to use Fleur de sel in this recipe.  The taste is superb.


Serves 4-6.
  


But I almost finished it all.  


Yum.












1 comment:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

my wife would probably dig out the beets and squash like that if i wasn't around too :)